Over the years, we are frequently asked by cancer patients,
“what vitamins are appropriate?”
As cancer doctors, our first priority is curing cancer and helping patients understand their prognosis and treatments. Given these priorities, many oncologists believe vitamins are less important, or surprisingly, unsure of the science and have difficulty in addressing what sounds like a straight-forward question. Frankly, it is a combination of not knowing the research regarding interactions as well as the research into this topic. It is not for interest, just a less priority for most. Also part of the problem, a physician does not know if you will be on a new cancer treatment and will certain vitamins interfere with the necessary success of that treatment.
Knowing no such vitamin has been available, research oriented oncologists and cancer specific pharmacists formed 4CancerWellness and developed an all natural and holistic ‘appropriate’ cancer patient daily multivitamin that:
✅ does not interfere with a cancer treatment
✅ addresses a cancer patient’s unique vitamin deficiencies
✅ and at the same time, considers that certain vitamins need to be limited or even avoided because of the risk of high levels in cancer patients.
supporting the wellbeing of patients during and after cancer treatment.
We know that SafeVite is the answer to a cancer patient’s multivitamin needs. In the very near future, we will also be launching other researched, all-natural and holistic supplements that mitigate side effects of cancer treatments, are safe to use with prescription medications, and most important, do not interfere with potentially curative cancer treatments. In addition, 4CancerWellness will launch personalized nutrition plans, activity plans and offer faith based as well as meditation based coping skills and finally other support services and information — all with the desire to help the wellbeing of cancer patients during and after cancer treatment.
SafeVite was developed by cancer doctors using the latest research, carefully considering which vitamins to include and at what doses to maximize the benefit to patients during as well as after cancer treatments.
What is unique about this product compared to the standard over the counter multivitamins?
- Extensively researched by cancer doctors and cancer specific pharmacists
- Recognizes certain vitamins can interfere with curative treatments
- Cancer patients have specific life-long vitamin deficiencies
- Cancer patients often run the risk of certain vitamin levels being dangerously elevated
- Recognizes that certain inactive ingredients in a multivitamin can cause cancer (carcinogenic)
- Avoids over-supplementation by using appropriate doses
- At 4CancerWellness our mission is to address wellness of all cancer patients and to do this safely during and after cancer treatments with a daily all-natural and holistic properly researched and vetted multivitamin
Examples of what SafeVite contains or avoids and the ‘why?’
- Vitamin D deficiency is widespread and frequently seen in patients receiving cancer treatments including colon and breast cancer patients. At the same time you should take an appropriate amount of D3.This vitamin is considered important specifically for cancer patients. For example too much vitamin D has been implicated in causing pancreatic cancer.
- Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) — Likely avoids deficiency and considered appropriate for wellness specifically in most cancer patients having had previous cancer treatments. A partial list includes lymphoma, breast, colon, lung, sarcoma and myeloma (and other cancers). For example, use of B6 is associated with lower risk of hormone positive breast cancer and likely helpful in colon and pancreatic cancer but if using higher doses leads to nerve damage (neuropathy) which is already an important side effect of most chemotherapy.
- Vitamin B12 is deficient in many types of cancer including breast cancer and multiple myeloma. B12 deficiency often results from deficiency of the protein intrinsic factor produced by the parietal cell in the stomach and thus frequently present in cancer patients and likely requires a very high dose in order to be absorbed. This is particularly true in diabetic patients which unfortunately is common in many cancer patients. Also, B12 based on homocysteine alterations, likely helps with bone health, avoiding bone fractures.
- Avoids Calcium as one out of every four cancer patients will have significantly elevated calcium levels at some time in their life. Although calcium may be necessary for certain patients (like those on bone strengthening agents) it is best to avoid added calcium until confirmed with your doctor what amounts are appropriate.
- Avoids Zinc knowing that although it may help with taste alterations due to radiation damage; it likely decreases cures. This is currently being studied. Current concerns also exist about this interfering with certain types of chemotherapy. For now likely best to avoid since its known benefits are limited in cancer patients and also knowing it definitely leads to copper deficiency.
- Certain vitamins based on randomized controlled trials (high level confirmatory research) are known to interfere with cancer treatments. These same vitamins have been extensively studied thinking they may prevent cancer but this has not been found. This includes a list of at least 7 products commonly found in most multivitamins.
We know the answer is not ‘more vitamins are better’
…or just buying a multivitamin off the shelf is not ideal for cancer patients, especially those on treatment. Consequently at 4CancerWellness our research team developed SafeVite knowing that our mission is to address wellness for all cancer patients during and after cancer treatments with a daily all-natural, holistic, properly researched and vetted multivitamin.
About the Author
Dr. John Haluschak, MD
A medical oncologist who started treating cancer patients in 1991 and from his earliest days had an interest in the genetics and preventative aspects of cancer. Dr. Haluschak has been a driving force in the discovery and development of SafeVite.